The ARS Sosse Chapter was established in February 1974 with 11 members in Pasadena, California. The chapter was instrumental in establishing a social services office, which continues as a branch office of the regional social services network. Initially, the chapter members provided their homes for all chapter activities. Later on, Haygouhi Boyadjian, prior to her passing, made a donation towards the purchase of the first community center on Lake Boulevard. The ARS office bears her name in her memory. Armenouhi Paroyan donated $80,000 towards the purchase of a second community center on Foothill Boulevard.The chapter established a Saturday School in 1979, which continued at the Mount Olive Church complex until 2003, when it switches to the weekday format at Webster Elementary School. Kevork Bedigian was a principal from 1991-2005; Mary Aghoian took over the position since 2005. The chapter was the initiator of a tradition honoring the achievements of public high school graduates of Armenian descent.
Over the decades, the chapter made several worthy accomplishments including:
- A needlework class taught by then 80-year old Mariam Shirigian.
- Blood drives in memory of the Armenian Genocide victims on April 24.
- Cultural bazaar displaying the handiwork of members.
- Participation at a multi-cultural festival with a food booth in 1997.
- A craft class in the tradition of decoupage.
- A dinner-dance in honor of Sarkis Boghossian, a benefactor.
- As a sister-chapter of the ARS Chapter in Vanatsor, Armenia, a group of students were invited to share their experiences with the chapter.
- Special programs to commemorate the decades of service by the Chapter and Saturday School.
The chapter continues a long tradition of service to the community and funding ARS programs around the globe.
VOLUNTEER WITH US
ARS Sosse Chapter – Pasadena, CA
School Schedule: Every Monday; Hours: 12:40 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Administrator: Taleen Hindoyan- (626) 639-8665, firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel Webster Elementary School
2101 E. Washington Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91104
SOSSE CHAPTER FYI
Pasadena Armenian Center,
2242 E Foothill Blvd,
Pasadena, CA 91107
- Taleen Hindoyan, Chairperson
- Narine Sarkissian, Secretary
- Mayda Behesnilian, Accountant
- Emma Oshagan, Advisor
- Vartouhi Sahagian, Advisor
- Arsho Kilejian, Advisor
- Arpi Kitsinian, Advisor